Sunday, January 10, 2010

Day 1

Yesterday was the big day. I left DC and traveled to Honduras. It was a very early morning, but things moved quicker than I expected at airport. Flights were uneventful and I got a bit of rest. Clearing customs was easy, and I found the rest of my party easily.

We drove to the Air Base which is situated in a valley. The big event for the trip was being hit by a drunk driver. His front end was ruined (but he drove off anyway), and our bus had minor damage. (No one on board was hurt.)

When I got to base, they toured me around and showed me my hootch. I'm pretty lucky! I get a whole hootch to myself (3 rooms - kitchen, living room, and bedroom). I've got a tv and couch and decent storage. It looks like a camping cabin, but it's comfortable. I'm across the street from the bathroom facilities.

Last night, there was a farewell dinner and I was invited to participate. It was great to meet some of the folks with whom i'll work.

Today was a day for wandering and getting unpacked. I also started my new workout routine.

I'll continue my workout schedule tomorrow morning with PT at 0615. I'm excited about tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. Mom shared your note to her. Did you get houseplants on the open market there? Sounds like you're settling into a routine there. Will you rotate off the night duty soon? I hope there are a few others with you...it gets eerie to be alone on duty in the night/early morning hours. I can recall a time in Vietnam in the airport control tower outside our compound...my only companion was a gecko who scared the s#@t out of me when it croaked at about 0230! We're very proud of you. Love - dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great seeing you last night. We'll keep working on Skype until we can get a two-way conversation going. Hope your shift went well last night. Love, dad

    ReplyDelete